Margaret Anne Tockarshewsky, Executive Director, New Haven Museum

203-562-4183, ext. 20,

Julie Winkel, Media Specialist,                                                                                                             



Chickadee Tales:  An Anthology of the New Haven Bird Club at the Pardee-Morris House

New Haven, Conn. (July 12, 2021)— The Pardee-Morris House (PMH) will host “Chickadee Tales:  An Anthology of the New Haven Bird Club.” Based on the book with the same title, the presentation will feature members Gail Martino and John Triana highlighting the history of the New Haven Bird Club. The free lecture will be held on Sunday, August 22, 2021, at 2 p.m. Attend in person or register here to attend virtually. PMH is owned and operated by the New Haven Museum.

Members of the New Haven Bird Club are part of an extraordinary group of people dedicated to birds and their conservation. The club was established in 1907 with a few dozen members, including schoolteachers, prominent citizens, and high school students. The club’s history includes some of the biggest names in ornithology, many authors, a pioneer in nature photography, the “Father of the Everglades,” and the beginnings of bird banding in the United States. 

John Triana is the current historian for the New Haven Bird Club. He joined the club while in middle school and served as the organization’s president during its centennial in 2007. He conducted much research on the history of the club and its members.  He is employed as real estate manager by the Regional Water Authority.

Gail Martino is the chair of the Indoor Program for the New Haven Bird Club and serves as a surveyor for the Connecticut Bird Atlas project, whose goal is to document species during breeding and nonbreeding periods.  Originally trained as a neuroscientist, she has held several academic and corporate positions, and is currently senior manager of innovation at Unilever. In addition to code editing “Chickadee Tales:  An Anthology of the New Haven Bird Club” she has also published a children’s book featuring birds, “A Friend for Bloo.”

About the Pardee-Morris House

Located at 325 Lighthouse Road, in New Haven, the Pardee-Morris House dates from about 1780, and is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places. Built by Amos Morris around 1750, the house was burned by the British during their raid on New Haven in 1779, and rebuilt and expanded by the Morris family. In 1918, William S. Pardee, a descendant of the Morris family, willed the property to the New Haven Colony Historical Society, today the New Haven Museum. For a complete list of summer events at the Pardee-Morris House, visit: 

For New Haven Museum’s event calendar: 

Sign up for e-blasts at

About the New Haven Museum

The New Haven Museum, founded in 1862 as the New Haven Colony Historical Society, is located in downtown New Haven at 114 Whitney Avenue. The Museum collects, preserves and interprets the history and heritage of Greater New Haven and through its collections, exhibitions, programs and outreach brings more than 375 years of the Elm City’s history to life. For more information visit or or call 203-562-4183.


Logo for: CT Humanities Logo for: Preservation Connecticut Logo for: CT Humanities Logo for: The 1772 Foundation Logo for: Blue Star Museums Logo for: Howard Gilman Foundation Logo for: United Illuminating Lighting Up the Arts Logo for: Connecticut Freedom Trail Logo for: WSHU Public Radio